Wednesday 16 May 2012

I don't think I am cut out

for art journalling!

Honestly, this disaster:

is a Prima box that held some notecards.  It had to have six coats of gesso on to hide the printing which took 7 days to dry (and was turned a lovely light blue during this period in my haste to add mists and sprays before it was too thick to see through!), then I inked it with some glimmer mists and a house mask which then took another day to dry.  When it did it looked ok but too light so I decided to do a sky and a grass area instead - well as you can see the green has come out far darker than I thought (I thought gesso lightened paints slightly?) but also I did the box upside down so the sky is where the grass should be! and as for that splodge that appeared when I moved my wet paper mask too soon - no comment!

Was thinking about putting the whole thing in the bin after posting this, but actually looking at it the blue could be a planet couldn't it and the darker area space - so now I am off to have a rethink as I have a really cute sizzix spaceman die that has never been used.....

To cheer myself up after this disaster yesterday though I did make this:



which uses the new bird on a branch die I bought for the crop.  Tag is inked with Picket Fence, Faded Jeans and Vintage Photo stains.  The branch is inked with Vintage Photo and Evergreen Bough, with the birdie done in Black Soot, Spiced Marmalade and Squeezed Lemonade finished with a bling eye. Again I have used a brown piece of ribbon for a trunk as I have so many nice comments on how good it looked on a previous tag - thank you all :) - and the T!m on the the fence die was inked with Vintage Photo too (I think -  have lost the scribbled piece of paper that I wrote the stash used on instead of putting it all my little "This is how I created...." book - one day I will learn, honest I will).  Finished with a row of blue flowers.

Can I just say a big hello to Marjie - thank you for following me.  That's it from me today, I have just picked up my new car this morning so am off for a little tootle round on the quiet roads to get used to it (it keeps kangarooing on me at the moment and I sure that can't be my fault???) am very excited though as this one has a key fob that works so I can now get back in the same gang as nearly every other car driver in the world and pop the boot open using the fob!  It's the little things that please isn't it....

Thanks for looking - the kangarooing car driver from Solihull

8 comments:

Artyjen said...

The blue could be the sea under a dark november sky ;)
Hope the kangaroo behaves itself!
xoxo Sioux

Jenny Marples said...

Don't give up yet!

You can go to town with stamps/masks using silver or gold or copper (basically metallic inks which will sit on the top of the background colours). Use art parts or other die cut shapes on top. Even a spot of acrylic paint could work as it will be opaque enough not to sink into the blue/green. The possibilities are endless!

Think of your 'disaster' as an adventure waiting to happen. Can't wait to see what you do now!

Hope the rest of the day gets better. Hugs, Buttons x

MadeByKarla said...

Haha! We all learn by our mistakes! Turn this into something great. A sun rising over the ocean? Or no particular scene, just a collection of favorite objects?

Remember, to know when to stop ;)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

I'm sure you'll have a great idea and looking forward to see the result :)
Your tag looks beautiful.

Pam said...

Try adding some additional paint layers with stencils, bottle cap circles, cardboard, wadded up pieces of plastic or anything you have sitting around to dip into a little paint. When you like what you see, treat it as a background and then add a focus image and some writing or maybe a poem.

Unknown said...

There are all kinds of things you do, including adding tissue or book paper to parts and inking on that - just continue to play. It isn't finished yet so it won't look right yet.

Thank you so much as well for my blog candy package which arrived today. It is a wonderful mix of things I can't wait to play with and to top it all off a lovely bag full of die cuts, most from dies I don't have and have been longing for! I'm just about to blog it as my woyww post!

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Well it was certainly worth the effort you put in because I have a big smile on my face and its nice to know I'm not the only one having disasters!! However I am sure you will make something stunning with it. I think you probably got your petrol from the same Australian garage my husband goes to that uses kangaroo juice instead of petrol!! Anyway you have sure made a fab tag! Hugs Susan xx

Deb Neerman said...

WoW, this tag is awesome! LOVE, love, love it!

When I have a background I'm not lovin' too much, I drag out my stencils and add molding paste ... works every time! You've created a fabulous base ... don't give up on it!