Friday 8 March 2013

Tattered Flower challenge

Tim has a challenge on his blog to win $100 worth of stuff! all you have to do is use the tattered flowers (from the sizzix die) on your project.  So I had a little ponder for a few days and then I spotted some pompom people and from there I decided I was going to make people with my flowers.  Then, with the idea in my head of somehow creating flower people and being a child that grew up in the 1970s when I used to watch Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men, I got the inspiration to make my own Flowerpot Men.

I sent OH out to buy some tins of beers which we had to drink one night (all in the name of art of course!) so that I could cut out some metal flowers, these were then inked with alcohol inks.  In the meantime I made up some faces using a mould and fimo which were left overnight to dry and then yesterday I got a chance to finally play and put them all together.  I based their names on my two children Oliver and Benjamin and here they are:


I apologise about the poor picture quality - after a few lovely days of sunshine the rain has suddenly reappeared in England and looks to be staying for a while so this is the best my daylight bulbs and photoshop skills can manage!

The flowers are cut from the aforementioned tin cans and coloured using stream, stonewashed, copper, pitch black and peach bellini alcohol inks.  I finished off the men with pen nibs for arms, T!ms muse tokens hanging from chains for legs, an 'O' and a 'B' cut from the Once Upon a Time die with black card covered in glossy accents for a nice shine and two crowns.  The faces I finished by lightly inking them with Spun Sugar and then drawing on eyes with Stormy Sky and Black Soot distress markers.

I handcut the grass out of bazzill cardstock (took ages - so need that new T!m grass die now!), the sign is from T!ms Signpost die and the banner is handcut - both titles are stamped using an old Inspirations alphabet set in coffee archival ink and then inked with Vintage Photo distress ink.


Here is a closeup of Olly:


Both are sat on some old flowerpots that I found in the cupboard (who knew we had those!) - they are nothing like the original Flowerpot Men as they were made out of flower pots hence the title Never Be Ordinary!

Hope you like them! they are a big hit in our house and have pride of place on top of the bookcase in the lounge!

Thanks for looking - A Blossoming Artist from Solihull

9 comments:

Bernice Hopper said...

Brilliant. Love it

Jenny Marples said...

I do love the way your mind works Nicola. Superb ideas and I bet hubby was pleased to assist with the beer. Hugs, Jenny x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A brilliant idea and a wonderful project.

Missus Wookie said...

The beer comment made me laugh - have a friend who uses the inside of tomato puree tubes. Not as fun to finish up I suspect ;)

Sandra said...

Gorgeous project for Tim's Tattered Floral Challenge! love those beauties! Hugs, Sandra

Artyjen said...

Wowzers! If that does not get you a prize I'll plait sawdust!!! LOL
xoxo Sioux

Mrs A. said...

Brilliant concept. Hugs Mrs A.

Wendy said...

your people are fab! How original

Missus Wookie said...

What a cool project - had a friend borrow my tattered florals die to have a play for this prize too. They are such fun dies to use.